Skip to main content

Bringing Sexy Back

I feel like I spent the entire year of 2016 in recovery mode. I had suffered a severe kidney infection and kidney failure in December 2015. It took months to recover from the situation. In July of 2016, I pinched a nerve in my back that left me in excruciating pain through my shoulder and elbow. I was in physical therapy for over two months dealing with that issue. It seemed like I was falling apart and I was dreading what could come next. I was 47, overweight, and suffering from high blood pressure. I was more than a little depressed. So, by the end of that year, I knew that I needed to make a change. So, I did.

I declared 2017 the year I brought sexy back. Sexy had a pretty long way to come... I started walking every morning and evening, just up and down my driveway. I logged step after step and mile after mile. I know I must have looked foolish to the cars that passed by on the busy highway. I was that crazy woman who walked all the time, usually talking to myself, and often dancing. Every morning, as I took that first step, I would say, "Every step I take gets me one step closer to where I want to be." I would push myself to hit the next thousand mark, to hit the next mile. And, as difficult as it was at times, I never lost my motivation. I would look down at my phone and say, "I can do it!" And, I did.

It was mid-summer before I was able to take a photo of myself and share it on Facebook. I had hidden from the camera for 20 years. There were hardly any photos of me with my sons. It was almost like I hadn't truly existed for a long time. In June, I was inspired by a story I read about a woman who took a photo of herself every day during her weight loss journey. Her goal was to take a selfie a day until she recognized herself. I decided to adopt the same practice. Still, I take a photo a day to inspire myself and to hold myself accountable. The minute I start hiding from the camera, it's over. I never want to hide again. I jokingly declared 2017 the year I brought sexy back. But, it really wasn't about sexy at all. It was about love. I wanted to find out if there was something left to love. There was. I did.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Change Your Words

It's not about the numbers. It's about the words, the words we use to inhibit, to control, to inspire, and to empower ourselves. I changed my diet and that changed my body. I changed my vocabulary and that changed my life. And, as the days go by, I concern myself less with the numbers on the scale and more so with the words that are in my head. I no longer say that I'm overweight or unattractive or invisible. I choose to be as kind to myself as I try to be to others by saying that I am healthy or improved or just plain better. Because this journey that I'm on is not about weight; it never was. It's about worth and that can't be determined on a scale or through the eyes of others. Worth is inside of you. Change your words and find it.

Who am I?

Hello! My name is Kim McCallie. I am a writer who is on a personal journey to lose weight and to gain worth. And, if I can inspire others along the way, all the better. You're invited to travel with me.